cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF R72 - How do I transfer video recorded in mp4 to computer or copy it to an SD card?

deborahbw
Contributor

Unfortunately I recorded an important video in the mp4 format in the internal memory of  my new VIxia HF R72 camcorder. Now I can't find out how I can either transfer that video to my Mac or even how I can copy it to an SD card. NEED to get it out of there! Thanks for any help!

16 REPLIES 16

I got a Vixia HF R72 , recorded my mp4s, tried to import to Mac 10.6.8, same problem. Fortunately, my husband is a mac wiz. Here's a quick workaround if you don't want to import into iPhoto, or your camera doesn't show up at all:

• Plug camera into power, connect to computer with USB cable. Switch on, press "Play" button. USB connection appears on LED screen. (iPhoto will open up; close it.)

• Go to your Applications folder and open Image Capture (should already have come installed).

• Your camera should show up in the upper left. Click on it.

• At the bottom of this sidebar, from "Connect this camera to:" choose "No application." (Then iPhoto won't open up automatically any more.)

• By now, your camera files should show up in the window. Select the ones you want to import. (You can choose to delete them after importing by clicking the box at bottom left of window.)

• At the bottom of the window, click on the arrow of "Import to;", and choose "Other" from the drop-down menu. In the appearing Finder window, go to your Movies > iMovie Events folder and make a new folder (button bottom left). Name it whaever you would name your new iMovie event.

• back in Image Capture, click "Import Selected." It'll take a while depending on size of movies.

• When you open iMovie, it will recognize and process your new event. Ta-dah!

Just bought this camera and had the same problem with it not showing up in Finder when using USB cable. If I removed the memory card, however, it did show up.

I tried your very clear work around and it worked great.  Thank you.

I also deleted from Image capture.  Is that the best way to delete?

Also, do I have to clean out the memory card so that it's totally available ? If so, how?

And... finally do I somehow do "first aid" on the memory card to make sure it's working at full capacity?

Thanks again

@ekz wrote:

Just bought this camera and had the same problem with it not showing up in Finder when using USB cable. If I removed the memory card, however, it did show up.

I tried your very clear work around and it worked great.  Thank you.

I also deleted from Image capture.  Is that the best way to delete?

Also, do I have to clean out the memory card so that it's totally available ? If so, how?

And... finally do I somehow do "first aid" on the memory card to make sure it's working at full capacity?

Thanks again

I suggest that you download the instruction manual.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm having the same problem.  VERY VERY VERY frustrating.

I tried the suggestion of opening image cpature, but the camera files are showing up as wav files, not video.  Any reason why this should happen.

Calling Canon tomorrow and if I can't get this more relabily to work will return it.

Guitarchitect
Apprentice

I too have hit the wall, trying to transfer files from my Vixia HF R72 to i-movie. No one seems to have an answer. Very disappointed; lost some very valuable video 3 times now. What next ... any suggestions ?

Help !

Not sure this will help everyone but it works for me.  I downloaded and installed MPEG Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com) and am able to import .MP4 clips into iMovie.  You should not have to convert the file into any other format after installing MPEG Streamclip.  Avoid downloading the program from a site other than squared5 as squared the program developers site.  

Xander86
Apprentice
Hi i have a hf r72 as well my question is is it possible to upload a video on the web without connecting to a wifi
Announcements