cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF R700 unable to transfer mp4 files to Win 10 PC

vwerner
Apprentice

Hi
I can't upload mp4 video files from my Vixia HF R700 to my Windows 10 PC, using the Pixela transfer utility.(over USB)
I get an error message saying that the images could not be imported.

I can see and import AVCHD files no problem though.
(Both Mp4 and AVCHD files play back on the camera no problem)

I have also tried an external card reader with no luck.

Please advise.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello timcraig,

The CameraWindow software should be able to transfer the video files to your Windows 7 computer. You should also be able to see subfolders in the DCIM folder you mentioned in the Removable Storage that shows up when the camera is connected.

Since CameraWindow is having trouble importing the files, and nothing is showing up in the DCIM folder on the Removable storage, there may be an issue with the formatting of the memory card. When the card was first inserted into the camera was it initialized using the Initialize option in the Wrench section of the camcorder's menu?

To verify, when the camcorder is connected to the computer, and powered on in the Playback mode, you do not see any files/folders inside of the DCIM folder that appears on the Removable storage of the camcorder? If not, this may indicate an issue with the formatting of the card.

If there is an alternate card to test I would put it in the camcorder, initialize it using the initialize option in the camcorder's menu, take a test clip, and try to transfer that clip. I would not initialize the current card as it will wipe out all data on the card during the process.

This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. We do hope someone is able to assist! If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

newsense52
Rising Star

Hi- upgrade your computer video adapter Direct X  12 or higher driver.

See microsoft forum for guide on how to upgrade driver.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Vwerner,

Thanks for posting.

While the Pixela Transfer Utility is great for transferring AVCHD movies, for your MP4 movies, please use the Canon CameraWindow. You may access this software by clicking here. Once on our site, you'll see that the "Drivers" tab is highlighted. Click on software, then click on the [Select] button to the right of "CAMCORDER Software 7.0 [Windows]", then click on the red "How to Download and Install" link for installation instructions.

To begin downloading this software, click on the red [Download] button. On the next (Popup or new tab), enter your camcorder's 12-digit serial number, in the space provided, then click ont he [Submit] button.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello,

I'm unable to transfer mp4 files to my Win 7 PC from my Vixia HF R800 using the Canon Camera Window application.

I continually get an error message:  Failed to import images.  It will show the information for the video and image files but it won't import them.

In the Windows folders, it shows "Removable Storage" and DCIM folders but they are empty.

I'm using Avid editing software on this computer successfully so I'm thinking my video and display drivers are up to date?

I followed some of the other advice in this forum:  plugged the USB cable into the back of the computer.

Any help/ideas are greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Tim

Hello timcraig,

The CameraWindow software should be able to transfer the video files to your Windows 7 computer. You should also be able to see subfolders in the DCIM folder you mentioned in the Removable Storage that shows up when the camera is connected.

Since CameraWindow is having trouble importing the files, and nothing is showing up in the DCIM folder on the Removable storage, there may be an issue with the formatting of the memory card. When the card was first inserted into the camera was it initialized using the Initialize option in the Wrench section of the camcorder's menu?

To verify, when the camcorder is connected to the computer, and powered on in the Playback mode, you do not see any files/folders inside of the DCIM folder that appears on the Removable storage of the camcorder? If not, this may indicate an issue with the formatting of the card.

If there is an alternate card to test I would put it in the camcorder, initialize it using the initialize option in the camcorder's menu, take a test clip, and try to transfer that clip. I would not initialize the current card as it will wipe out all data on the card during the process.

This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. We do hope someone is able to assist! If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Thanks much. This was probably the issue: not formatting the card. However, I purchased an inexpensive card reader and that solved me getting the files off of the card. In the future, I will format! Thanks. Timcraig

Glad that solved it.

I'm having the same issue. I didn't format the card before using it. It was already working ok with another Canon camera, but I understand the formatting can be different. The problem is, the scenes I already recorded (and I can see them using the camera's viewfinder) are important, so it would be terrible just to lose them. Can another technician try to find a solution?

I'm using Windows 10 and a USB cable.

So have you tried removing the SD card and, using a card reader, accessing the mp4 clips in the DCIM folder on your computer directly with File Explorer ?

GUYS...

The videos I had in the SD Card (before formatting it in the camera) I managed to transfer to a laptop with a SD Card slot!!!

GREAT!!!

And after that, I formatted the card with the camera and it worked perfectly.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

CHEERS!!!

Announcements