cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF R600 is no longer recording any videos?

JSeib9
Apprentice

We just purchased the vixia HF R600 video camera a couple of weeks ago.  We have already recorded several videos, played them back on the camera, and uploaded some on the computer.  Today, we recorded several videos but only one was recorded.  All other data was lost.  There is next to nothing on the memory card so space is not an issue.  The camera reads that we are recording, but nothing is actually being saved.

What is the issue?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JSeib9,

The issue you ran into may be related to the memory card being used.

Your comcorder will accept the following memory cards:

• Secure Digital standard card (SD) support capacities up to 2 GB
  • Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) that support capacities up to 32 GB
  • Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) that support capacities more than 32GB

While we don't recommend specific brands or models of cards, we do recommend that you use a memory card produced by a major manufacturer of memory cards that closely adhere to the current industry standards. You may see the standards at sdcard.org.

We recommend against the use of cards that require an adapter to fit in the comcorder (i.e. micoSD or Mini SD). The increase in the number of connections between the camera and memory card (from the memory card to the adapter, then from the adapter to the camera) makes a malfunction more likely.

Your comcorder does not offer support for memory cards using the UHS-I or UHS-II standards. While some of these cards are backward compatible with older memory card standards, not all of them will work. Please check with the card manufacturer for details regarding backward compatibility with the Speed Class 10 or Speed Class 6 card standards.

If your memory cards meet the standards described above, I recommend saving your movies and images to your computer, then performing a complete initialization of the memory card.  Here's how:

HF R600 Initialize.JPG

If you continue to encounter this issue, I recommend trying a different brand/ model memory card.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JSeib9,

The issue you ran into may be related to the memory card being used.

Your comcorder will accept the following memory cards:

• Secure Digital standard card (SD) support capacities up to 2 GB
  • Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) that support capacities up to 32 GB
  • Secure Digital eXtended Capacity (SDXC) that support capacities more than 32GB

While we don't recommend specific brands or models of cards, we do recommend that you use a memory card produced by a major manufacturer of memory cards that closely adhere to the current industry standards. You may see the standards at sdcard.org.

We recommend against the use of cards that require an adapter to fit in the comcorder (i.e. micoSD or Mini SD). The increase in the number of connections between the camera and memory card (from the memory card to the adapter, then from the adapter to the camera) makes a malfunction more likely.

Your comcorder does not offer support for memory cards using the UHS-I or UHS-II standards. While some of these cards are backward compatible with older memory card standards, not all of them will work. Please check with the card manufacturer for details regarding backward compatibility with the Speed Class 10 or Speed Class 6 card standards.

If your memory cards meet the standards described above, I recommend saving your movies and images to your computer, then performing a complete initialization of the memory card.  Here's how:

HF R600 Initialize.JPG

If you continue to encounter this issue, I recommend trying a different brand/ model memory card.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks Richard for your help!  Based on your information, we are pretty sure it is the card. 

Try transcend class 10 - 32 gb, or reinitialized your old card, or  try reset the camcorder to factory reseting. Sometimes when you set other seting not in auto mode, the camcorder is not working.

By the way how is the quality of video viewing in your computer screen, is it pixelated? Mine is bad in windows 10, even i changed the cable from VGA to DVI but no HDMI slot in computer. Thanks.

Our original card was UHS I.  When we replaced it with a compatible card, we have had no problems since.  

We haven't really had any issues with pixelation.  Our computer has windows 7 and the videos are really clear definition.  

Do you have still problem with your camcorder not recording?

Mine pixelated video is best viewed when played by HP media smart video  player than windows 10 media player, no pixels, and also best using HDMi cable direct to sony Tv from camcorder.

No we haven't had any issues since we got a compatible card type.  Everything has recorded!

afsoeiro
Apprentice
Hi,
Has anyone else had issues when recording longer videos in MP4 29.97 in this camera?

My ~1h videos, on many times, corrupt the recordingin the middle of it. But the file is still there. When playing in VLC, it just freezes at the corruption point.

Sometimes the recording leaves a long void in the file, coming back a long time later. In Kdenlive or in Blender, I can see the audio present in the portions of existing video. But the church service recordings are gone.

Reset your video camcorder from menu. It is the design that it records less than 30 min. then it stops. You will have to manualy stop and start recording again. It is better to stop at break point and never try like time elapse recording.

If this will not work for any reason, this will need tech support / repair from canon.

Announcements