cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vixia HF M500 - What lenses are available?

DOHcanon2017
Contributor

I am involved in sort of a project, to maximize the use of an older camera for  film making, my Canon Vixia HF M500.

My question is, what lens options are out there? I have found one bundle on Amazon, but I am not clear on the lenses that I can attach or what adapter I might need.

If anyone could educate me about the Vixia HF M500's ability to attach lenses and adapters for lenses, I would appreciate it very much. Of course if you have found any good lenses for this camara and could offer some advice about those, that would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

VideoGeek
Mentor

You will need a converter lens with a 43mm rear mount diameter. The camcorder's filter thread is 43mm. 

The two Canon compatible lenses available for that camcorder are the following:

WD-H43 43mm 0.7x Wide Angle Converter Lens

TL-H43 43mm 1.7x Tele-conversion Lens

Any conversion lens with a 43mm rear mount diameter should work and you shouldn't need a special adapter as the lens should screw onto the camcorder's filter thread. 

There may be others available that will use a step-down ring to allow the lens to be used on a 43mm filter thread.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

VideoGeek
Mentor

You will need a converter lens with a 43mm rear mount diameter. The camcorder's filter thread is 43mm. 

The two Canon compatible lenses available for that camcorder are the following:

WD-H43 43mm 0.7x Wide Angle Converter Lens

TL-H43 43mm 1.7x Tele-conversion Lens

Any conversion lens with a 43mm rear mount diameter should work and you shouldn't need a special adapter as the lens should screw onto the camcorder's filter thread. 

There may be others available that will use a step-down ring to allow the lens to be used on a 43mm filter thread.

Oh, VideoGeek. THANK YOU. I am out of options to get information about this issue. I know the camera isn't that great, but I am getting some interesting work done with it. So I appreciate the assistance.

When you refer to a "step-down-ring", that is an adapter that would allow the camera to use lenses besides the two you listed? But, if I understand you, I can use any lens, as long as I can fit that lens with a 43mm rear mount adapter? More or less?

As you can tell I am in the dark about this. I am a writer and an actor, and until now I've only done that, but getting behind the camera seems like a logical step. I want to get some work done with this camera and then step up to something more official. In the meantime I just want to try some lenses and learn more about the process.

Any additional assistance would be greatly appreciated from anyone. Thank you.

Yes, the step-down ring would allow you to use other lenses.  However, I think it would be wise to test a lens (if possible) before purchasing one that would use a step-down ring.  Yes, anything with a 43mm rear mount thread should work.  If the plan is to step up to another camera in the not too distant future then don't spend too much on the lenses for the one you have now.  

Just out of curiosity, what types of lenses are you looking to use/learn?

Are you interested in interchageable lenses (not the kind that we are talking about currently)?  You know the kind where you could switch between a prime lens and a zoom lens or wide angle lens?

I am really new to this, and I want to experiment and figure out as much as I can before I get a much better camera. So, I really don't know anything about lenses, I am just begining to deal with the various qualities. I will be getting a GH4 or maybe a Canon in the next few months. I just  want to shoot a lot and cut it together to get some experience.

Practice is always a good way to start.  Better to learn now than on a job.  Start thinking about composition.  Shoot the same scene from various angles and with different lenses to see what works and what doesn't.  If you must zoom then move the camera.  Try a shot where you are zoomed out and zoom in slowly as you move the camera forward.  I'm no expert but will be glad to help however I can.

I sure do appreciate the help. I am at a point right now, having been involved in the business for many years, where I find myself a beginner. I'm not even sure what class I would take if I could find one. I think my understanding of photography basics - lenses specifically - are lacking. I will probably be pestering you in the near term. 🙂

You won't be a pest at all.  I'll do what I can to help and by  helping you I will learn something as well.  You are correct in that understanding photography basics will help.  Not sure where you are from but a locat community college or even a university might be a place to look.  Just remember to take it a little at a time and not overwhelm yourself.  As you have already figured out it takes time and lots of practice.

Ok. I am going to remember you said I wouldn't be a pest.
Announcements