Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Vixia HF 200 won't charge battery

The external charger (STK) worked for a while, then it quit on me. Perhaps I shouldn't have gotten the cheap one. At this point I've given up on the camcorder.

Occasional Contributor

Well, I guess it's okay that I still have power, but otherwise it's a $1000 doorstop.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a HF 200.  Love the Camcorder.  Use it a lot for recording my band.

I have three batteries, two Canons and one Vivitar.  They are all different sizes.  Both Canons will ocassionally show low battery warnings but do not seem to charge in the camera or an external charger.

My solution is to just keep recording while the camcorder displays the warnings regarding battery lifetime.   After runing it for an hour in this state the battery will charge and seems OK after this.

Occasional Contributor

Since an update showed up today, I'll post my update:
One week before I was going to shoot a friend's wedding is when all this happened. I found a company in CA that can/could repair it for about $125.00. Reluctantly, I purchased a refurbished Canon R-72 because of this major thing: The Canon is the only one in the price range, under $300, that has an external mic jack. They got me the camera two days prior to the wedding, and because I was familiar with the Canon, it wasn't difficult to shoot. The R-72 does well in good light, but a little iffy in low light. It does have a number of decent features and I was pleased with it. I did, however, have to return the first one because you could definitely hear the "Auto focus" motor in quiet conditions. I still have the other camera and I may repair, then sell or keep as backup as I have so many batteries for it (including a battery charger I purchased in the attempt to get this one working). Sad state of affairs but at least I was able to swing the $178. For the "new" camera.

Occasional Contributor

Well, I'm glad I was able to help some of you with the issue.  Here's what I ended up doing.  When I called back when I had this problem the service tech told me I had the option to have the camera repaired or purchase a refurbished newer model.

I ended up going with the newer model and have not looked back.  It took a little getting used to as it was a little different.

You know...just when you've figured out yours....you have to up and learn a whole new one again.  I can say Canons Customer Service for me was top notch.  I'd buy another. The failed camera...well lets face it if you have saltwater on it (like a post I read), own it for 5 years....take it hunting in a backpack with you everywhere you go...it is bound to have some problems eventually.  I beat on mine and it held up for years.  I was happy with the Canon I owned.  I was upset at first but they did right by me in the long run.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Basically, what I did. I haven't tried the wifi yet but that seems to be something that may help with downloads.