Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: VIXIA HF R800, external mic not working

Thanks for that!

Question: How are you mounting this microphone on your camera or mic stand, since the mic looks like it comes with a "hotshoe" mount?

New Contributor

This camera needs a self powering (condenser) microphone. You can also go to the link below and obtain a much better "User's Guide" than the one that comes with the camera. 

User Guide Link

New Contributor

I use a cold shoe bracket to hold the mic and camera on my shoulder rig at the same time.

New Contributor

Without offending . . . your answer is way too tecky.  I'm just a simple guy trying to get my Canon product to work.   I too have returned a Vixia HF R800 camcorder because I thought the device was broken.  My previous Kodak camcorder DID work with an external microphone that wasn't powered.  So I still sit here not getting a simple honest answer to how to make the external MIC port work.  

I would like to run a mic cord to the front of the meeting room, or get a remote mic, but I'd prefer not having to try over and over again.

I did find that a TRRS headset for my Galaxy phone worked on it.  So my next test is a TRRS to TRS male by female adapter.

New Contributor

I found a very reasonable Wireless Lavalier MIC set that seems to work very well.  I don't know if this allows me to post URL's so I'll paste the description on Amazon.

Wireless Camere Lavalier Microphone Filmmaker Kit, EACHSHOT COMICA CVM-WM100 Professional UHF 48 Channels 100m Distance Omni-directional Mic for Canon Nikon Panasonic Sony, Camcorder ,Smartphone.

I was even able to plug the wired microphone that would not work on the Canon camera into the transmitter and it also worked and sounded great.  It does take 2 double "A" batteries in both the receiver and transmitter and I don't know how long they will last, but they can be switched out very quickly.

Best of luck.

New Contributor

The mic jack requires a powered microphone - meaning it has a battery. Unpowered will not work.

The jack requires a TRRS male plug (tip, two rings, and shield body). TRS (Tip, ring, shield) will not work.

I found one that works on Amazon. The brand name is not listed.  Apparently forum rules prohibit links to product on Amazon or other retaliers, so I can't post the link. However, if you search for this term you should find it:

External Lavalier Microphone with 20' audio cable + Accessory Bundle for Canon VIXIA HF R500-R600-R700-R800 HD Video Camcorder

New Contributor

"We don't support" is a BS answer. Perhaps YOUR cameras come wired improperly right out of the box. This many people should not have an issue recording with an external mic. I bought this camera BECAUSE it has an external mic jack, and here you are spitting in the face of peopel who did the same thing I did.

Tell us what mic DOES work. IS there even ONE mic that works? Likely one you sell for $1000?? I tried 3 that I know work becuase I use them on my iPad and Droid tablets. One is a TRS and the other is an TRRS.

Just walking away and saying "we don't support it" is HORRIBLE customer care.

Highlighted
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fruguy101 You use a cold shoe bracket mounted where and how? On this tiny camera?