cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RE: G30 Freezes While Recording

fanofcanon
Contributor

Has anyone  encountered a G30 locking up in recording mode? Won't zoom in or out, won't stop, or even power off. And the only way to get out of the locked up state is to remove the battery, then put i back on, to reboot the camera?

7 REPLIES 7

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

What kind of battery and memory card are you using? Have you formatted the card in the camera? Have you set the camera's calendar and clock? Did you buy this new or used?

The camera was bought brand new May 2014. Camera's calendar and clock are set. The sd cards are formatted on the camera, A sony 64GB SDXC class 10 on slot A and a sony 32GB class 10 SDXC on slot B. The Battery is an after market BP828 bought about the same time as the Camera. First occurence of the lock up was Sept 2016. The lock does not really occur very often. Maybe twice in 2017, and more recently 6/16/2018.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Fanofcanon,

Thanks for posting.

This issue can be caused by some memory cards. Your camcorder accepts SD, SDHC and SDXC memory cards.

While we don't recommend specific brands or models of cards, we do recommend that you use a memory card produced by a major manufacturer that closely adhere to the current industry standards. You may see the standards at sdcard.org.

We recommend against the use of cards that require an adapter to fit in the camcorder (i.e. micro-SD or Mini-SD). The increase in the number of connections between the camcorder and memory card (from the memory card to the adapter, then from the adapter to the camcorder) makes a malfunction more likely.

Important: Your camcorder does not support memory cards using the UHS-I, UHS-II or UHS-III standards. Some such cards will have "UHS-I, UHS-II or UHS-III on them. Others will have a "1", "2" or "3" superimposed on a "U".

Another possible cause is the battery pack you're using.  Does this ever occur with the orignal Canon Battery Pack BP-820, which was supplied with your camcorder or just with the aftermarket battery pack?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Michael,

Thank you for your comments.

I am not a fan of using micro sd cards in an adapter to fit in regulard sd card slots. The ones I have used since I purchased the camera  is  A Sony SDXC Class 10. According to sdcard.org, if you use a UHS class SD card on a non UHS equipment, it wiill  act like a class 10 device nd you won't have use of its ultra high speed characteristics.

I have not used the battery that came with the camera for any shoot as it only provides about an hour of shooting time. I have used the third party battery for over 2 yrs., before the first occurence of the lock up. And then when it did occur, all I did was remove the battery, reinstall it and continue shooting  for a few more hours. There is also a big gap in the occurence. I will try to use the BP-820 next time. The lock up, if it does happen, occurs within the first 1 and 1/2 hrs of the shoot.

Does it make better sense to reformat the sd card after transferring the files to your computer in preparation for the next shoot? I just erase all the scenes in the sd card after I have off loaded the files to my PC. 

@fanofcanon wrote:

Michael,

Does it make better sense to reformat the sd card after transferring the files to your computer in preparation for the next shoot? I just erase all the scenes in the sd card after I have off loaded the files to my PC. 

There's probably some disagreement on this, but I wouldn't imagine that you should need to do a "low level" format every time after downloading your files. It should be done initially, of course, and then maybe every few months or so after if the card get used heavily, maybe? But I'm more used to dealing with still image files instead of larger video files. Maybe it would make a difference if you were nearly filling the card to capacity before downloading?

I'm curious to see what the pros take on this is.

Richard,

I just wanted to apologizing for calling you Michael. I don't know what I was thinking,

Fanofcanon

Just did a 5-hr shoot last saturday with no changes to my setup. Same battery, same SD card with no incidents.

Announcements