cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Powered IS on XA25 not on all the time

dedd
Apprentice

When I set the Powered IS on it doesn't stay on.  Yes, the Powered IS icon stays yellow showing it is enabled.  But, after a while jiggling is visible for a short time until it kicks back in again.  This cycle repeats itself. This is very annoying when I have the camcorder at 20X zoom.  Is there any way to KEEP Powered IS active all the time when it is enabled?

Thanks,

Don

3 REPLIES 3

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you camcorder is mounted on a tripod, it just might be best to not use IS at all.  The IS is intended for handheld scenarios.

[EDIT]  The IS may get confused if you are panning the camera, or moving the camera such that the scene is constantly changing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for you reply Waddizzle!

This is an unfortunate situation, as the camera is on a tripod located in a balcony of a church.  When people walk up the stairs the image jiggles until the  Powered IS clicks in.  Wish I could find a solution for this.  Would be nice to have something like a gimbal like is used on drones.

Don

Hello dedd, 

We'd have to concur and suggest that when tripod mounted the IS should be disabled.  You've got the camcorder set to the one mode that can be used even when IS is set to off and from the sounds of it that mode kicks in when the vibration is detected.  

Something that we've done in the studio were to use sand filled bags to keep the support steady.  You're on the right track with looking for a heavier duty support, that will be key to keeping the camera steady.  It doesn't have to be a gimbal per se but definitely a stronger studio support to counter the vibrations.  Then the IS should simply be disabled.  This should resolve the issues that you are having with the vibrations.    

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements