cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Playback from a Vixia HD Camcorder?

markmil1
Apprentice

Hello,

I have been unsuccessfly at video playback from this camcorder to any other device.  I have connected it via the DV connector to my computer, trying Pinnacle and Windows Live Movie..in both cases, those programs can control the Vixia (forward, rewind, record) however NO video.  Subsquently i connected it to my Sony DVD/VHS recorder which i can record from a DV input and same deal.

I then put the tape from the Vixia into my Sony GL2 to play and SAME Deal.  I can only think of some issue with the HD format thats basically incompatable with everything else in the world ?!...>What are my options to get the video off this camcorder?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5

VideoGeek
Mentor

Just to make sure I understand correctly you can't capture from your Canon Vixia to the computer?  The software will control the camcorder but not allow you to capture from the camcorder?  What model of Vixia is this camcorder?  Have you been able to do this in the past and this is a new issue?  What mode do you have the camcorder in when you connect it to the various devices?

You can't capture from your Canon Vixia to the computer?:  Correct. Tried both Pinnacle and Windows Movie Maker.  In addition, tried connecteding it (using a different cable) to a DVD/VHS recorder which i can do with other players to put onto a DVD.

The software will control the camcorder but not allow you to capture from the camcorder?:  Correct.  Also the DVD/VHS record would control it also, just no video.

What model of Vixia is this camcorder?:  VX 30

Have you been able to do this in the past and this is a new issue?: No and Yes.

What mode do you have the camcorder in when you connect it to the various devices?:  It was in auto but i also tried setting it to DV only, same result.

In addition, two other relevant items:

1) It does play, direct connected to a TV (HDMI)

2) I took the tape out and put it directly into another recorder/player (Sony) and same deal.  It didn't have any video.

Only thing i can think is some kind of "HDV" proprietary format with Canon that doesn't play  well with anything else.?

Mark

Looked but could not find a manual for the Canon Vixia VX 30.  Was hoping to find something useful that would help.  This is a real poser since the video plays back via HDMI and the camcorder can be controlled via the DV (FireWire) port.  It really doesn't make sense.  All of the camcorders I have used that connected via a DV port have all been Sony so I'm not sure helpful I can be with a Canon HDV camcorder though I would think the principle for capturing would be the same.  If I find a manual I will post something.

Thanks for thinking and responses..I'm perplexed as well.  I'm pretty technical and have done alot with AV things over many years and this is the first really weird one.  I have the manual and read applicable sections many times.  Thats where i had the idea to 'fix' it to DV even though they state it should auto detect the destionation.

They do mention there is a format/propriatary possibility but i find it hard to believe with all the others i've used successfully with pinnacle and windows, not to mention my VHS/DVD, although thats the only thing i can think is the issue.

BTW, the canon support email is completely useless.  Appears as though its offshore resources.

When I use the Sony camcorders I have to set the camcorder to VTR (on the old Hi8 machine) or Playback on the miniDV tape recorders.  I have had trouble importing when I didn't set the import option (Premiere Pro) to HDV instead of DV for the HDR-HC1. I am very curious as to why your's won't import.  I will look again for a manual but even when going to the Canon site and looking at the HD camcorders I still could not find that particular model.  

Announcements