cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My canon vixia HF r11 does not autofocus. What can I do to repair it? its not a dirty lens

aark
Apprentice

My camera turns on ok, and it seems to be ok fro distant objects. Once I zoom, the auto focus seems to work and then continues to move through the actual field of focus. Is there a manual focus or do I need a repair? Or just buy new?

4 REPLIES 4

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Aark,

Thank you for posting.

Manual focus may be required with low contrast subjects, reflective surfaces and in other conditions.

The method for manual focus is described and illustrated, beginning on page 61 of the VIXIA HF R11 Instruction Manual.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

aark
Apprentice
The autofocus does not work in normal light conditions such as a high school gym basketball game. It is not even the quick motion as I'm 20-30 ft from them as I'm attempting to record. Thanks

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Aark,

For additional trouble-shooting, I recommend contacting our Technical Support Team. For contact options, please click here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I had the same problem, noticing also that if I zoomed too fast, focus would be lost. I resolved the problem by making sure the subject was in the center of the view screen.

Run a test by zooming in sloooooowly to an stationary object that has a background close behind it, or where the background is out of the picture. For autofocus to work, the subject has to dominate the camera view. I cannot see how recording athletes in action is possible with a non-pro grade autofocus.

If your autofocus still does not work in the test I mentioned above, you might need a factory repair. Otherwise set your camera to manual focus. If your camera has an aperture setting, set it to f16 (greater depth of field).

Hope this helps.

Announcements