cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More confusion about AVCHD

hobo
Contributor

Sorry everyone.

Seems like a lot of confusion for a newbie.

I been looking through the vixia r70 menu and it appers the AVCHD setting is suppurb.

The confusion is, how to edit this file and save in same quality so no degration is done.

And after the edit how to burn to dvd with same quality?

I been looking everywhere but no cigar yet 🙂

Please if anyone knows a solution for this get back to me.

Thanks

Hobo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, it will be better than a DVD.  The best way to know for sure about the quality is to burn a disc.  If there is a difference in quality (between AVCHD and Blu-ray) it should be insignicant and not noticeable.  HD = Blu-ray, SD (Standard Definition) = DVD.  Just out of curiosity, what editing/burning software are you using?  

This is a bit dated:

1. HD contains a lot more pixels compared to SD
2. HD creates finer images compared to SD
3. SD gets blockier much faster with larger screens than HD
4. HD video must be played in an HD display to get the HD experience
5. SD is still the most prominent format especially in TV broadcasting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Hobo,

Thank you for posting.

To retain the best quality, we recommend record to Blu-Ray Disc using a recorder compliant with AVCHD ver. 2.0 specifications to copy movies recorded in the 60P or MXP modes.  When you use commercially available software, please refer to the instruction manuals to check the specifications of the playback device.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Richard,

It appears you are quoting out of the manual. Same as in my prior question.

I hoped to find some answeres from people who actually done and experienced some of these questions I am asking.

In other words what have you or others  used and tried.

Neve the less I do appreciate your input.

Hobo

You will not get the same quality of the original file when you convert and burn to a DVD.  The DVD is a lower resolution image than the AVCHD file.  When compression is involved, such as converting for burning to a DVD, there will more than likely be some loss of quailty.  For the best quality, as was previously mentioned, burning the AVCHD file(s) to a Blu-ray disc will give you better quality than a DVD will. 

As far as exporting goes it really depends on the options available with the editing software you use.  The names of these options may vary from one software package to another.

Thanks for the explanation. So if I have a blueray disk the quality would be better then regular dvd.

But it still would be less quality then the actual AVCHD file?

I am just trying to understand, why have such good quality file on camcorder but not able to get it on

other media? It says it is for HD big screen TV, how do I get it to watch on TV in the same quality?

Sorry to ask again. because you said: "burning the AVCHD file(s) to a Blu-ray disc will give you better quality than a DVD will". Sounds like it is still not the same as original?

Thanks again for more help.

Hobo

Yes, it will be better than a DVD.  The best way to know for sure about the quality is to burn a disc.  If there is a difference in quality (between AVCHD and Blu-ray) it should be insignicant and not noticeable.  HD = Blu-ray, SD (Standard Definition) = DVD.  Just out of curiosity, what editing/burning software are you using?  

This is a bit dated:

1. HD contains a lot more pixels compared to SD
2. HD creates finer images compared to SD
3. SD gets blockier much faster with larger screens than HD
4. HD video must be played in an HD display to get the HD experience
5. SD is still the most prominent format especially in TV broadcasting

Announcements