cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M40 naturally better low-light than the R600?

Autolooper
Contributor

Hi!

Relatively new to Canon camcorders, I've noticed that low-light videos recorded with the newer R600 tend to be much grainier than what I record with an M40. Adjusting the R600's settings only seems to make things worse or lowers the framerate.

Which direction should I look in for an upgrade from the M series?

Thanks!

-Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Autolooper,

Thank you for posting.

The sensor in your VIXIA HF M40 has better low-light performance 0.1 lx (low light mode) than the VIXIA HF R600 0.4 lx (low light mode).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Autolooper,

Thank you for posting.

The sensor in your VIXIA HF M40 has better low-light performance 0.1 lx (low light mode) than the VIXIA HF R600 0.4 lx (low light mode).

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the info!

Would you have any suggestions for an upgrade over the M series?

vid2000
Apprentice

The M40 also has a bigger sensor size than the R600, the former has a 1/3 inch sensor found on prosumer cams while the R600, a lower end cam, has a sensor slightly bigger than 1/5 (1/4.85) which isn't really enough for a clean low light image. The bigger the sensor, the more light it receives

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements