cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the CT-V1 Pan Cradle compatible with the new VIXIA HF R72 Camcorder

bkuser46
Contributor

I have seen documentation stating that the CT-V1 is compatible with the VIXIA FH R72 and documentation stating that it is compatible only with the discontinued VIXIA HF R5 series.  Why would Canon discontinue the R5 series, replace it with the new R7 series and not upgrade the CT-V1 to be compatible with the new model?  Are there any plans to make the CT-V1 compatible in the near future?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@bkuser46 wrote:

I have seen documentation stating that the CT-V1 is compatible with the VIXIA FH R72 and documentation stating that it is compatible only with the discontinued VIXIA HF R5 series.  Why would Canon discontinue the R5 series, replace it with the new R7 series and not upgrade the CT-V1 to be compatible with the new model?  Are there any plans to make the CT-V1 compatible in the near future?

What documentation did you see?

CT-V1_Cradle.JPG

I bought one of these for my son.  He says it works as advertised, but there is a noticeable time lag.  The only reason i bought is because it came with the camcorder in a package.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

bkuser46
Contributor

Thanks for responding.  Where did you see this ad?  I saw it someplace but could never find it again.  In the product description on Amazon.com it states that it works with Vixia mini, Vixia HF R500, R51, and R52.  Saw the same on Canon website.  B&H had it advertised like you show.  I emailed Canon support twice and was told both times that it only works with the R5 series and that there were no plans to modify it to work with the R7 series.  Which camera are you using it with?  I also contacted B&H customer service and was told their documentation was incorrect.  They assured me that it would only work with the R5 series and said they would correct their documentation.  Today I saw that it had not chaged.  I have read in customer reviews that the wifi response time is slow on this unit as you reported.  This would not be a problem in my application.  I am anxious to hear which camera you are using this with, as I ordered a unit by a different manufacturer today on Amazon, but it uses an IR remote which has to be aimed directly at the unit.  I would much rather control it with my cell phone along with the camera, as the CT-V1 does.  I will cancel my order with Amazon if you can tell me this for sure works with the Canon Vixia HF R7 series.  Thanks.

That image is from B&H.  My son and his wife use their Apple branded phones to control it.  I never knew that functionality was dependent upon the camcorder until I saw your post.

bkuser46
Contributor
The wi-fi app works through the camera to communicate with the nu

bkuser46
Contributor
To communicate with the CT-V1. (There is no wifi receiver in the CT-V1 itself). My question for you is what model Canon camcorder is your son using? Is the number following Vixia HF-R a 5 or a 7? Thanks.

@bkuser46 wrote:
To communicate with the CT-V1. (There is no wifi receiver in the CT-V1 itself). My question for you is what model Canon camcorder is your son using? Is the number following Vixia HF-R a 5 or a 7? Thanks.

I'm almost certain that it's a Vixia HF R62.  I know it is a "60" something, and it has 32GB of memory. 

Somehow, my son and his wife have figured out how to use the camcorder as a wireless baby cam when the baby is sleeping.  They can check on the baby via iPhone or iPad.  She uses her iPhone.  He uses his iPad.  They have the camcorder sitting on the base, and can pan to a thermometer on the wall above the crib. 

My son says the base works, but there is a noticeable time lag between issuing a command, and initiation of movement.

bkuser46
Contributor
What you are describing is exactly how it is supposed to work. The lag time is due to the wireless wi-fi connection between the phone and the camcorder through a wireless router they have somewhere in their house. If it is working with the Vixia HF R62, chances are pretty good that it will work with the HF R72 as well. Amazing how little the tech support people at Canon know about their own products! Frustrating at times. Thank you for the information.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements