cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a question on a Canon GL2.

bottrot
Apprentice

I want to transfer video to computer.  It looks like the last two laptops that I have in my possession use the larger 9-pin port.  I take it that must be standard now on computers.  So is the first thing I need to buy the

Firewire Adapter

10Ft FireWire 800, i.link, IEEE-1394 9Pin to 4Pin Cable, Clear

This is what I am a thinking. 

2nd question is what software do I need to buy or download to make this happen.   Thanks for helping.

5 REPLIES 5

VideoGeek
Mentor

You should be able to use just about any video editing software to transfer the video from the GL2 to the computer.  If you are using a PC you should be able to use MovieMaker to transfer the video over or iMovie if you are sing a Mac.

Before answering anything related to hardware it would help to know if you are using a Mac or PC.  If your laptops have FireWire ports, what type of FireWire adapter do you think you need?  Keep in mind there are two types of FireWire cables and the need depends on the port you have.

That sounds like a DB-9 serial port, and an older computer.  What operating system are you running?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddaiizle makes an excellent point.  I have never seen a laptop with a full size FireWire port (the exception may be MacBooks).  As far as the a new standard goes you would be hard pressed to a find a new laptop that has a FireWire port.  

O.k.   more than likey it doesn't have a FireWire port.  So what do you do then.  I thought that is what I needed to use to get video to go through the computer.  It is a new inexpensive Dell Inspiron 15     3000 series.   Thanks for the help.  

Since newer computer don't come with FireWire ports and most do not have have a slot for a add-on card you may want to consider a video capture device.  You would more than likely have to use the composite video out (STV-250N cable) from the GL2.  The video capture device will connect to the computer via a USB cable and the camcorder connects to the capture device via the composite cable.  

Video Capture Devices at B&H Photo

Link to GL2 User Manualhttp://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0900000646/01/GL2IM-EN.pdf

Announcements