cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a Canon XHA1s video camera with a recording problem. It breaks up into many short scenes.

crustyraven
Apprentice

I start my recording and let it run the whole tape, like at a wedding.  It breaks up into as many as 38 short scenes instead of one long scene.  The number varies.  I Cleaned the head, tried a new tape with no help.  I think I eliminated the tape as a problem.  Also, a glitch may appear from time to time like the head is still dirty but I twice ran the cleaner tape.  Anybody run into this problem and have a solution?

Ray

3 REPLIES 3

Tim
Authority

Hello crustyraven, 

Does the software you've chosen to edit the video indicate that there are 38 or so clips or scenes taken from the footage?  It may be the case that the software you're using is simply identifying the footage as being broken up into scenes based on cues rather than the fact than the camcorder actually breaking the long footage up.  I say this because typically once footage is recorded into a DV tape, unless you've started and stopped the footage a bunch it's handled as one long clip- unless the software is the one doing it.  In this case it shouldn't matter because you'd be combining all the footage into one project anyway and the number of scenes so to speak would be relatively inconsequential.  I do not believe that the camcorder inserts clip or scene dividers in the sense that you're referring to which leads me to believe that it is the software. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I use Sony Vegas Pro software.  I have used it several years and never experienced a break in the video before the last wedding I taped.  All starts and stops were initiated by me, before,  on the camera and so picked up in my software exactly as recorded. 

I ran several tests after the wedding tape and found the same problem.  If I let the camera run from start to finish,  it broke up the recording into various pieces.

Hello crustyraven, 

I understand.  Using the software it should be possible to re-assemble the clips into one long project.  

If you wish to test the issue then you could always try another editing suite to see if the same thing happens.  Unfortunately there are no settings on the camera which will change this.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements