cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I replace the internal rechargeable lithium ion battery in the XF-100?

jimcooper
Contributor

Manual p 168 describes the battery type required, but no clue as to how to find it, access it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello Jimcooper, 

Page 170 of the XF100 manual specifies both the built-in rechargeable lithium battery (aka, the back up battery) and a CR2025 lithium button battery.  One might interpret that particular section and page in the manual as referring to the same battery, but it actually refers to two different and distinct batteries.  I apologize that it might be easily misread as being otherwise.  

The built-in rechargeable lithium battery (aka, the back up battery [which runs the date/time/settings]) is the one we're referencing when referring to your inquiry.  It's internal and cannot be changed by the end user as it requires Canon Factory Service to do so.    

This stands in contrast to the CR2025 lithium button battery (which we supplied) runs the XF100's wireless controller.  This is not the same as the built-in rechargeable lithium battery that's referenced when we talk about your direct inquiry.  You can change out the CR2025 lithium button battery on the wireless controller as needed.

Given this information we're unable to suggest attempting service yourself and would instead recommend using the Canon USA web site (linked here) to set up a service ticket for the camcorder to be sent to Canon for evaluation and/or service.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Tim
Authority

Hello jimcooper

This XF100 camcorder features a built in rechargeable lithium battery and isn't intended to be user replaceable or serviceable.  It shouldn't need to be replaced though as they're meant to last a long time.  The built in battery will indeed discharge though and drain the battery completely If the camcorder isn't used for a while.  

In this case it's fair to say that the battery has been 100% discharged and will need to be recharged again before it's properly ready to hold a charge.  You can recharge the battery by connecting the DC cable and compact power adapter to the XF100 and use a household outlet to charge the camcorder for a period of 24 hours while it is turned off.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks, but this does not resolve the problem.  I have charged the camera as you describe several times.  If the primary battery is removed for long enough to charge it, I lose the time settings.  I can only conclude that the back up battery has failed or degraded.  The manual tells you what cells to use to replace it, hence my belief that it is user serviceable.   The unit is out of warranty, and I'm pretty handy with electronics and careful.  Is it possible to get the service procedure?

Hello Jimcooper, 

Page 170 of the XF100 manual specifies both the built-in rechargeable lithium battery (aka, the back up battery) and a CR2025 lithium button battery.  One might interpret that particular section and page in the manual as referring to the same battery, but it actually refers to two different and distinct batteries.  I apologize that it might be easily misread as being otherwise.  

The built-in rechargeable lithium battery (aka, the back up battery [which runs the date/time/settings]) is the one we're referencing when referring to your inquiry.  It's internal and cannot be changed by the end user as it requires Canon Factory Service to do so.    

This stands in contrast to the CR2025 lithium button battery (which we supplied) runs the XF100's wireless controller.  This is not the same as the built-in rechargeable lithium battery that's referenced when we talk about your direct inquiry.  You can change out the CR2025 lithium button battery on the wireless controller as needed.

Given this information we're unable to suggest attempting service yourself and would instead recommend using the Canon USA web site (linked here) to set up a service ticket for the camcorder to be sent to Canon for evaluation and/or service.  

I have the same issue with my XF100. This is the best answer I have seen. When I email Canon Tech, They told me to contact Canon Parts....which I knew was wrong. I will probably take the approcach and contact Canon Service to get the battery in teh camera replaced. Charging did not solve the issue.

James

I just started working for a company that left this camera sitting for about a year or more.

I charged the xf-100's internal battery but only for about 18 hours.  I'm trying again for the full 24, But if it doesn't work, what are the service options for Alberta / Western Canada?

HI JeffWright! 

Thanks for posting in the Canon Forums!

We just wanted to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

We recommend reaching out to Canon Canada for service and repair options. You can find them online HERE.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA.

Thanks for choosing Canon!

Hello Canon people,

My XF100 camera has been without activity for about 3 months. When turning it on the VCR screen shows the factory date and wants me to set it up. I do set the current date but eventually, I get the same issue.

Same thing with the frame rate. When I turn on the camera it is set at 60i (but I always set it to 30p).

I called CANON last week and a tech rep told me to buy a CR2025 lithium battery (coin size) and replace it with great care by unscrewing the plate where the BIG external battery sits.

I haven't been able to find a micro precision screwdriver yet so I haven't attempted to open it up.

BUT I am reading your forum and it seems like the info I got from the CANON rep is not correct?

He first told me about charging the camera with the DC while off for 24 hours but eventually, he concluded that it was best to change it with a CR2025 because the camera is 7 years old.

So What should I do?  Follow your procedure below? Or sent it to CANON?  I have an important shoot coming up in 1-2 weeks!!

"In this case, it's fair to say that the battery has been 100% discharged and will need to be recharged again before it's properly ready to hold a charge.  You can recharge the battery by connecting the DC cable and compact power adapter to the XF100 and use a household outlet to charge the camcorder for a period of 24 hours while it is turned off. " 

Please help!  Thank you!

Mabel

I have been told you have to send it in as the battery is soldered in. I have saved all lay settings to an SD card. I keep a battery in the camera and when it dies I can recharge it and then transfer all my settings from the SD card back to the camera. If you send it in Canon turns it around fairly quickly. I have had one of my old Cameras work on.

Hope this helps

JK

Thank you, JK.

I am hoping to hear from Canon asap to confirm what to do.

Announcements