cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon vixia hf r500 streaming video?

Vega
Apprentice

Hello all, 

I recently purchased a Canon Vixia hf r500.  I bought it because I was told you could stream video with it.  I run a weekly podcast where we stream the video live on upstream.  I've been trying to figure out how to use this as a webcam but I've been left scratching my head.  Is there anyone familiar with this camera and how to pull this function off?  

When I plug in via USB the camera is recognized as a mass storage device but when I opened ustream the camera is not found. 

Thanks for any help you can give. 

5 REPLIES 5

VideoGeek
Mentor

You may need to use the HDMI cable and a video capture device.  I'm not sure the USB port can be used for streaming video.  You might be able to use the optional STV-250N Stero Video Cable and connect it to a video capture device but I don't think the quality will be near as good as using the HDMI cable.  However using the optional cable and a compatible capture device would be less expensive than the HDMI option.

Analog capture devices (not an all inclusive list):

Elgato Systems USB Analog Video Capture Device

Diamond VC500 One Touch USB Video & Audio Capture for Windows

Hauppauge USB-Live2 Analog Video Digitizer

Tera Grand EasyCAP Composite / S-Video and Audio USB Capture Device

HD Video capture devices (not a comprehensive list):

Hauppauge Colossus Video Recorder

Blackmagic Design Intensity Shuttle

Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Recorder Capture Device (uses Thunderbolt cable to connect to computer)

Blackmagic Intensity Extreme

:

As far as I know, the camcorder itself does not stream, you probably would have to add an external device like VideoGeek said, but try reading through the user manual and see if it contains anything; http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/7/0300013657/02/hfr50-52-500-im2-n-en.pdf

Hi, Vega!

Did you get a solution to your question?

I have a similar problem. I bought a Vixia HF R700 and got a Black Magic Intensity Shuttle capture card.

I could not get the video signal to be transferred to my notebook. I've tried all the possible camera settings (Movie format and video quality) but I can not.

Anyone have an answer? Is it possible to transmit from the Vixia RH R700 via BlackMagic Intensity Shuttle?

I'm waiting in a way ...
Grateful!

Hi lgiesel,

Thank you for posting.

For assistance with this, please contact Blackmagic Design product support. Here's the site for their support team: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Vega
Apprentice
Thanks guys! I'll look into the capture cards, and I looked through the manual but couldn't find any documentation on it.
Announcements