cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIXIA HF G40 - Zoom out problem, pleeeeeease help!

serazoo
Apprentice

Hello all,

I have a Canon Vixia HF G40, brand new, a few months use.

It has started to zoom out automatically..  randomly I zoom in on a shot,, randomly (not always) it decides to zoom out on its own. Extremely annoying, I literally (sometimes) must keep my hand on the zoom button to prevent it from zooming out... I really don't understand what the purpose is, if this is a configuration issue. Where the hell can I go or do to stop this from happenning ?

thanks

Sandra

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Mhamilton
Apprentice
After the compressed air worked, I also bought some Nexxtech (the Source) aerosol Contact Head Cleaner and sprayed it in and around rocker zoom. It has worked for me, if it stops again I’ll try doing the same, cheep fix for me. Good luck, love the Camera, but this issue........

View solution in original post

51 REPLIES 51

IamintheUK
Rising Star
Rising Star

I have a G40 with no problems. Random zooming would suggest a fault with the zoom rocker switch. If it's less than a year old it should still be under warrenty.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

Cheers IamintheUK

I will check the warrenty solution.

Does this mean this could be a mechanical issue ? I thought maybe the Autofocus configuration is not doing its job... or any other software issue...

Hello serazoo,

We encourage you to reach out to support for troubleshooting. Here in the USA, we're at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666). Outside of the USA, CLICK HERE for options. 

If you look at some of the other threads here it seems to be a common problem.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
EOS C100 mk2 with the Canon EF-S 18-135mm IS STM lens - Zoom H2n - Dell 8700 i7-4790 3.6Ghz, 24GB Ram, Win 10, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.6 - Blackmagic Speed Editor - Presonus Faderport 1 - DJI Ronin S

I am having the same issue so it appears its a known problem with this type of rocker zoom switch.  Like yours, mine zooms all the way out and can only be stopped by light pressure on the zoom switch.  My guess is this is an issue that needs a recall to correct whatever is causing this malfunction.

At first I thought it was trying to autofocus the image but I troubleshot it some and soon realized it was a rocker issue.

I did a reset on all the settings and still the same.  Rocker Zoom issue.

Canon, please find a fix quickly.

Bob

YoungBallerz
Apprentice
Same camera , same problem , please help meeee!

paulhummerman
Contributor

Vixia G30 - same problem!

Canon fixed the problem, for $407

I am experiencing this as well and is most frustrating. Been a Canon user for years but am considering going to Panasonic. Where did you send your camcorder for repair?

Announcements