cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia HG21

suden111
Contributor

I bought that cam around 2011. I've transfered files to my computer with ImageMixer 3 SE Player Ver.3 back then with no problem. I've stopped using the cam for a few years and I decide to re-using it recently. Today I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and when I try to transfer my recent videos to my PC using that old sofware via USB, Window detected the removable disk (I can see it in my computer) but ImageMixer tells me that there are no files on the camcorder. I've tried to upgrade everything I could but still doesn't work. Now my new videos (and old ones) are stuck on the camcorder and can't transfer them. Can somebody help me please? I'm kinda discouraged and don't know what to do anymore. Help me please. Thank you

22 REPLIES 22

I hope you do find an answer.  The moving of the files from the hard drive to the SD card would get annoying quickly.  

I talked to a few people at Canon, nobody has a clue why...What do you want me to do more?

I'm trying to come up with something useful.  I don't know that this will help but you could try a trial version of Cyberlink PowerDirector.  I only suggest it because years ago when I was teaching we had a JVC camcorder that recorded to a hard drive and that software was able to pick up the drive and convert the files into a usuable format.  I don't know that it will have any effect at all which is why I suggest a trial version.  

I am using Windows 10 and have a Canon (VIXIA HF-G20) that records to a hard drive as well as SD cards.  I wil record something to the hard drive and then connect the camcorder via USB to see whether or not the drive is recognized.  If it doesn't work then I will definitely be looking for a fix.  Either way I will let you know the results.

I have the full evrsion of Cyberlink PowerDirector 15 here. As I said before, Power Director shows me the SD card drive, not the HDD. Let me know about your results. Thank you

Sorry, I overlooked that when going back through the messages.  The earliest I will be able to test my G20 is tonight.  Will post something as soon as I can.

Just wanted to let you know that I have not forgotten about the test.  I promise to do a short test soon.

Just take your time. Thanks

Recorded something last night to the camcorder's internal memory and I will try to retrieve it tonight.  I specifically recorded it to the internal memory just for this purpose.  I'll let you know the results and hopefully let you know late this evening.  I know I don't have to rush but I have to do things while I'm thinking about it or else it gets filed in a cabinet that I never can seem to find again.

Update:

I connected the camcorder (HF-G20) to the computer via a USB cable. 

1) I connected the cable to the camcorder

2) I connected the other end of the cable to the computer

3) I turned on the camcorder power

4) I switched to playback mode

5) I was presented with a list of options and chose Internal Memory

5) I looked in Windows Explorer and saw the internal drive listed as Canon with the drive letter K

6) I copied the files from the camcorders internal memory to a hard drive.

I did not use any type of software other than the OS to copy the files.  

Do you get a menu or list of options on the LCD screen when you connect the HG21 to the computer?

Yes I have something like "burn to DVD" & Computer/Printer" so I choose computer/printer

Not quite sure what to tell you to try next.  I hope you do find an answer.

Announcements