cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia HF20 won't connect via USB to PC running windows 7.

jackelope
Apprentice

My Canon Vixia HF20 won't connect via USB to my HP desktop running widows 7.  I've tried different USB cords (which work on other devices), different ports, restarting, etc.  Is there any setting to check?  Is there a way to transfer video from internal memory to memory card to try to make trasnfer that way?  I have a lot of important video on the hard drive right now and can't upload and also cannot record any new video right now.  Thanks for the help.

3 REPLIES 3

VideoGeek
Mentor

It appears as though there is an option to copy the video clips (scenes or movies) from internal memory to an SD card.  Look on pages 87 - 89 of the user manual for instructions on how to do this.  This allows you to copy, not move, the clips to an SD card.  It does not delete the clips from the internal memory.

Thanks VideoGeek-- the copy process worked. Still can't connect my camera but at least I was able to save my current videos. I will just plan on using a memory card for now.

DWilliamA
Apprentice

old thread here - but this thread gets top google ranking so my 2 cents for old vixia users.... Any time you have internal video memory with deleted scene(s) it mucks up everything. before doing the cable thing, or if you have issues even copying to your card consider this.....

if you have a deleted scene(s) that leaves a grey icon with white question mark ... delete it manually in the camera. Having deleted scenes either stalls the camera or stops the camera from connecting via USB to your computer ... and it throws an error when trying to copy to your card. USB connect hangs and stalls, transfer to card throws error. Delete the deleted scenes and things work.

I don't know why the camera leaves these empty icon scenes like this, what purpose do they serve?

What happens is you shoot a bunch of stuff and start running out of memory... so you go in a delete a few scenes manually to gain memory .. and this leaves a bunch of empty scenes that are grey with white question marks. after you delete the scenes go in and delete the left over empty icons manually, in essence you have to delete them twice... and try to download via USB or tranfer to your card.

works for me.

Announcements