cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia HF R52 does not recognize external microphone

tanyao
Apprentice

Hey,

My camcorder suddenly does not recognize external microphones (I have tried using several microphones with several audio cables, all of which worked previously). If I try to record a video with a microphone plugged in, the video does not play any sound. Thanks for your help

6 REPLIES 6

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Tanyao,

Thanks for posting.

From your description, it sounds like your camcorder's Mic. Level setting may have been turned down.

You can adjust the audio recording level of the built-in or an external microphone. You can display the audio level indicator while recording.
IMPORTANT
  • When the [Camera Mode] is set to [ ] (Auto), or [ ] (Baby) mode this setting cannot be made. Please make the setting in [ ] (Cinema), [ ] (Special Scene), or [ ] (Program AE).

1. Turn on the camcorder.

2.Touch [ ].

3. Drag your finger left/right to bring the [Main Functions] menu to the center, and then touch to open it.

4. Drag your finger up and down to display the rest of the panel and then touch [Mic. Level].

5. Touch [ ].

6. Touch and hold [ ] or [ ] to adjust the audio recording level as necessary.

As a guideline, adjust the audio recording level so that the audio level meter will go to the right of the -12 dB mark (yellow area) only occasionally.
REFERENCE
Touch [ ] (automatic) to return the camcorder to automatic audio recording levels.

7.Touch [ ] to lock the audio recording level at the current level.
REFERENCE
  • To display the audio level indicator
Usually, the audio level indicator will be displayed only after activating the manual adjustment of the audio recording level. You can choose to display it also when the audio level is adjusted automatically.
1.Touch [ ].
2. Touch [Audio Level Indicator].
3.Touch [ ].
NOTE
  • When you are using a microphone connected to the MIC terminal, including the WM-V1 Wireless Microphone, the audio level indicator will be displayed automatically.
  • When the audio level meter reaches the red point (0 dB), the sound may be distorted.
  • We recommend using headphones to check the sound level while adjusting the audio recording level.
Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have had this exact same issue; though I do not know if my mic imput ever worked as I just started trying to use it.  I have tested multiple microphones and none of them work.  I tried adjusting the level before I ever came across this post so that is not a solution.

(edit.  It shows all the microphones as connected as the level meter shows up when I plug them in.  They also work on other devices.)

I think the Vixias all require a self-powered external microphone to work properly, just in case you're trying to use an unpowered mic. Plugging in any mic will disable the onboard microphone.

My H52 does not "scroll" to the additional microphone settings. Firmware update?

According to the user manual, it appears that it's just a matter of plugging in any self powered microphone with the right size jack. Are you trying to use an unpowered mic?

Screenshot(25).png

Hello richard654, 

We are sorry to hear that this has occured.  There is an updated version of the firmware posted on the web site.  We recommend updating at your earliest convenience.  

Please Click Here for the VIXIA support page. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements