cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Vixia HF G30 configuring Røde video mic

pelagus
Apprentice

Helppppp!

I own a Vixia HF G30 and recently purchased a Rode video mic. In settings, I have a couple audio settings, "MIC" and "LINE". None of them record audio from the mic. The mic I bought doesn't require a battery if that makes a difference.

I went to mix the audio setting to try and view the live audio feed but was only receiving a change in levels from the internal mic, nothing from the external.

Please help me out if you know anything about how to fix this. Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

Gr8Believer
Contributor

The camera has an external mic jack that you should use. I have a video pro RODE mic as well which does require a 9v battery. I have the G40 which I suppose is similar and in the audio options you have an option to use just the external or to mix the two mics together with %'s either way. 

Which RODE mic do you have?

what a bummer, I just checked the website and the G30 is one of the few incompatible cameras with the mic. Here is the link [link removed per forum guidelines]

Thanks anyways for your help.

I have an HF G20 and tried a mic that relied on power from the camcorder.  Though properly set no audio was recorded.  I'm guessing the mic jack is not designed for use with a mic that doesn't have it's own power source.  I have used battery powered mics that work fine in the mic jack.

Rode mic's website says some cameras cannot support an external power mic. Only mics that include batteries.

Have you tried a battery powered mic with the G30?  I only know that some mics which rely soley on power from the camcorder won't work on all camcorders.

That's what ill have to buy. Hopefully that works.

It should.  Post a follow-up as to whether or not it did work.

PRAISE THE LORD YOU ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS AND RELIEVED ME!

I have the G40 and im guessing that the mic has to power itself in order for it to work. So i have to send my rode mic that doesnt require a battery back because the g40 does not power the mic from the cameras own power.

Announcements