cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you output live video through HDMI on Vixia HF R400 without recording?

jjackson07
Apprentice

I want to connect two camcorders to a HDMI video switcher and output to HD Monitors and to a computer and use capture software such as Adobe Premiere Pro to capture video and sound. Of course, the computer will have a HDMI video capture card.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BobCob
Contributor

Yes, that should work. The R400 has HDMI output, and unless I am mistaken, on-screen-display output can be disabled.

However, keep in mind that the R400 likes to record with a very fast shutter speed, so in low light the image looks quite grainy. I would recommend using an HD webcam instead if that is an option to you. The older M series cameras are a bit better and also have HDMI output. For that matter, I believe that just about all of Canon's HD camcorders do. Whether or not it will work depends more on the configuration of your other equipment.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

BobCob
Contributor

Yes, that should work. The R400 has HDMI output, and unless I am mistaken, on-screen-display output can be disabled.

However, keep in mind that the R400 likes to record with a very fast shutter speed, so in low light the image looks quite grainy. I would recommend using an HD webcam instead if that is an option to you. The older M series cameras are a bit better and also have HDMI output. For that matter, I believe that just about all of Canon's HD camcorders do. Whether or not it will work depends more on the configuration of your other equipment.

Thank you. I'll see if I can find two good M series cameras.

No problem. Be warned, though. As far as I know, M series camcorders are only available on secondhand markets right now, and if you happen to find, say, a Vixia HF M500 new and unopened, the after-market price might be a little higher.

curious to know how your experiment turned out?
Announcements