Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can you output live video through HDMI on Vixia HF R400 without recording?

I want to connect two camcorders to a HDMI video switcher and output to HD Monitors and to a computer and use capture software such as Adobe Premiere Pro to capture video and sound. Of course, the computer will have a HDMI video capture card.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Can you output live video through HDMI on Vixia HF R400 without recording?

Yes, that should work. The R400 has HDMI output, and unless I am mistaken, on-screen-display output can be disabled.

However, keep in mind that the R400 likes to record with a very fast shutter speed, so in low light the image looks quite grainy. I would recommend using an HD webcam instead if that is an option to you. The older M series cameras are a bit better and also have HDMI output. For that matter, I believe that just about all of Canon's HD camcorders do. Whether or not it will work depends more on the configuration of your other equipment.

New Contributor

Thank you. I'll see if I can find two good M series cameras.
Occasional Contributor

No problem. Be warned, though. As far as I know, M series camcorders are only available on secondhand markets right now, and if you happen to find, say, a Vixia HF M500 new and unopened, the after-market price might be a little higher.
New Contributor

curious to know how your experiment turned out?