cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't transfer video from Vixia HF R80 to laptop

JedJ
Apprentice

I'm trying to move videos from my camcorder to my laptop running Windows 8.1 64 bit OS with the Canon Window utility, and I keep getting the "Cannot detect camera" error.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

VideoGeek
Mentor

If the videos are stored on a SD or microSD card have you tried using the card and a card reader to transfer the video to your laptop?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@JedJ wrote:

I'm trying to move videos from my camcorder to my laptop running Windows 8.1 64 bit OS with the Canon Window utility, and I keep getting the "Cannot detect camera" error.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you resolved this issue, yet?  I think the model has Wi-Fi and USB.  Make sure the camera is set to the proper communication mode, USB or Wi-Fi, as the software.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

It took me forever to discover the secret to making this work. After you plug the camera into the computer USB port and turn it on, YOU MUST PRESS THE PLAY BUTTON. Only THEN can you launch the CameraWindow app. Why this isn't documented in the manual is beyond me. I've asked Canon to issue a service bulletin, but they have ignored me.

I have pushed the gosh darn button and it still isn't working. 

I have the Vixia HF R800. I am trying to download to a brand new mac air (have tried three other comps too including a PC). The comp just keeps spinning that spinning wheel as if something is happening but nothing happens. I have plugged, unplugged, replugged, pushed the button many times. The same thing over and over again. Help me out please!

Heidi

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi JedJ,

If you're still encountering this issue, when connecting your camcorder to your computer:

1. If your computer is a desktop unit, is the USB cord plugged into the back of the computer? (Recommended)
  2. If it's a laptop, is your computer running on AC power? (Recommended)
  3. We recommend against plugging your camcorder into a USB hub. Please ensure that you plug your camcorder directly into your computer's USB terminal.

With your camcorder connected, as suggested below, when you power your camcorder on, please switch it over to the Playback mode. This mode is also your camcorder's computer connection mode.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements